Write an Obituary
Obituaries are an important announcement, read by many people who may have known the decedent at some time over their lives. This not only informs them of the passing but also about those who survive them and often provides insight about the lives they lived.
The obituary is also used to provide direction for mourners, not only as to the time and location of the funeral but also, for example, to request donations to a charity in lieu of flowers.
Use the guide below to help you get started.
- LASTNAME, first name middle name(s)
- Place of Death / Date of Death / Age
- Passed away peacefully at _______________ on (day/month/date/year) in his/her ____ year
- Spouse (if applicable)
- Loving wife / husband of __________
- Children (if applicable)
-in order of age
-list children's spouses
-list last names if different
- Beloved mother / father of _______, ________ and _______,
- Grandchildren (if applicable)
- Proud grandmother / grandfather of ________, _______, _______ and ______.
- Great Grandchildren (if applicable)
- Great grandmother / great grandfather of _______, _______, and _______.
- Parents (if both deceased)
- Daughter / son of the late ________ and ________.
- Accomplishments (if desired. may include birth date / place education, employment, organizations, hobbies / interests)
- _________ graduated from _________ and worked _________.
- Funeralization Details Visitation
- Friends may call at _________ on __________.
- Funeralization Details Service
- Funeral / Memorial service at _________ on _______.
- Funeralization Details Interment
- Interment at _______ Cemetery or "followed by cremation"
- Special Thanks (if desired)
- The family would like to thank _______ and _______.
- Memorial Donations (if desired)
- Memorial Donations in _______'s name may be made to the ________.
- On-Line Condolences (if desired)
- On-line condolences may be made at www.________
SMITH, John Edward -
Passed away peacefully at Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket, on Monday March 6th, 2006, in his 84th year. Loving husband of 60 years of Ann (nee Scott). Beloved father of Jack and his wife Sarah and Doris and her husband Bill Rogers. Proud grandfather of Scott, Mary, Peter, David, Chris and Steven. Great-Grandfather of Robert and Jennifer. Survived by his sister Margaret Eves and predeceased his brothers Norman and Richard. Son of the late Edward and Rebecca Smith. John was born on February 14th, 1922. He was educated at Upper Canada College and the University of Toronto where he graduated with a business degree in 1945 after which he began his life-long employment with the Provincial Government. John was an avid fisherman and hockey player. Friends may call at the Roadhouse & Rose Funeral Home, 157 Main St. S., Newmarket on Tuesday March 7th from 2-4 & 7-9 p.m. Funeral service in the chapel on Wednesday March 8th at 1:00 p.m. followed by interment at Newmarket Cemetery. Special thanks to the caring staff at Southlake. If desired, donations in memory of John can be made to the Canadian Cancer Society. On-line condolences may be made at www.roadhouseandrose.com